DIY Modern Upholstered Platform Bed

 photo IMG_4916.jpg

I've always liked this modern, low profile upholstered bed frame from Blu Dot, especially in the bright chartreuse color. When it came time to order a new bed for our bedroom I was sick of spending money and wanted to see if I could make a simple bed frame for a lot less.

 photo IMG_4761.jpg

I first had to find some bright chartreuse linen, but I kept striking out at local fabric stores and I didn't really have time to order something from a trade source. I even tried buying some chartreuse linen on eBay, but the color was way different than the photos when the yardage arrived.


 photo IMG_5608.jpg

I had just dyed the playroom curtains and figured it could be pretty easy to get a chartreuse color by dying white linen with equal parts lemon yellow and green apple liquid dye. The final color was a little more yellow than I probably was shooting for, but I really like it.

 photo IMG_5611.jpg

 photo IMG_4968.jpg

I had the handy man that was over at the house helping us with trim work build me a simple box frame for the headboard and a platform base from mostly scrap wood and a few sheets of plywood.

 photo IMG_5537.jpg

 photo IMG_5536.jpg

It only took him about two hours to build both pieces so the project ended up being incredibly inexpensive, even with all that wood.

 photo IMG_5557.jpg

Here's a photos of the underside so you can see how he structured the very sturdy base.

 photo IMG_5676.jpg

I was a little nervous to upholster the platform base with the Parsons style legs, but the headboard was a breeze. I used my cheap pneumatic staple gun and flew through the rows of staples!

 photo 3IMG_5636.jpg

 photo IMG_4974.jpg

I think the layer of high loft batting really helps soften the edges of the upholstery.

 photo IMG_5644.jpg

I started on the two long sides of the bed by tacking on the batting which I cut to fit.

 photo cIMG_5650.jpg

I stapled the fabric on the top of the platform and pulled and stapled around to the underside, but I used fabrictac to glue down the front side edges.

 photo IMG_5651.jpg

 photo cIMG_5665.jpg

It made for a surprisingly crisp line!

 photo IMG_5663.jpg

I also wrapped the inside of the leg with fabric using glue.

 photo cIMG_5668.jpg

 photo cIMG_5672.jpg

The only tricky part ended up being the front of the platform. I had to use a roll of upholstery tack strip, which I hadn't used in a while. I had forgotten how awesome this stuff is! It makes for perfectly crisp lines.

 photo cIMG_5679.jpg

I cut the tack strip to size (the length of the whole side of the platform) and then stapled it in place while it was sort of rolled into the fabric. Then I cut batting to size and tacked that into place before folding the fabric around, right side up.

 photo IMG_5685.jpg

Just look at that pretty line!

 photo IMG_5690.jpg

I used another pieces of tack strip to make a sharp line on the inside of the leg too and glued that part in place.

 photo IMG_5691.jpg

 photo IMG_5695.jpg

Ta-dah! The upholstery tack strip really saved the day and made it pretty simple to get a Parsons style leg. I love the clean, strait lines of our bed!

 photo IMG_5698.jpg

 photo IMG_4845.jpg

 photo IMG_4956.jpg

Not bad for about $200 in labor and materials!

 photo IMG_4819.jpg

 photo IMG_4784.jpg
personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing, personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing,